This is a collection of free posts (I don’t have any ones you pay for) I’ve written over the years that I maintain and think are among the most useful that I’ve written for people starting out. I’ll update the list whenever I write a particularly comprehensive post!
General introduction posts
- So you want to learn web development?
- Front-end development crash-course (I highly recommend this!)
- Beginning web development useful list
- Beginning UI design
- Beginning web animation
More specific posts
- An intro to responsive design
- Best way to animate for the web
- How does z-index really work?
- Non-terrible color palettes
- What CSS prefixes do I need?
- An intro to responsive units
- What type of website testing do you do?
- Why JS over Flash?
- Limiting browser reflow
- How do I get a mentor as a student?
- How to pick a good cover photo
- Best practices for header videos
- Protyping tools / Color palette generators / CSS Preprocessors
- Best practices for full width images
- Proper usage of the picture element
- CSS scroll snap point design guidelines
My favorite ramblings
Sometimes I write on non-dev or design topics; these are some of my favorites: